14.7.12


So the prompt here was favorite animated character, and we should probably talk about this because I'm not sure about favorite, but Maid Marian was certainly the first to come to mind—Disney's Maid Marian, that is, because when I was little I thought she was hands down the prettiest thing on four paws, plus she played badminton, and then Robin Hood slipped that posey promise ring on her finger and I was confident there had never been a better love story, in Nottingham or otherwise. Are you singing along at this point? Love, it seems like only yesterday . . .

But I'm not all into the cartoon scene anyhow, so favorite's a bit strong. There's a whole handful in the Disney drawer: Anita Dearly, Belle, Rajah, that girl who Mowgli falls in love with

Still. That's just Disney. And Disney is great, but then there's Samurai Jack. For Samurai Jack, I have no words. In fact, some episodes don't have words. Which is what I'm trying to say here—this show went so beyond animated I hesitate to even put it in this category. Samurai Jack is more a study in cinematography; the animation itself is super simple, but if you take a step back and consider what the series would look like in live action, there are few that could match it in artistic sense. Then there's the storytelling and the styling and the soundtrack. No wonder they cancelled it. What else do the networks ever do with the best of television?

If you've no idea what I'm on about, repent. Then reclaim your childhood and talk to me. May or may not own the entire series.

True story: I fell asleep typing this. And now it's seven a.m. But since this post passed the point of no return long ago, let's go back to Robin real quick and take a minute to appreciate that this happened.

Hey. Saturday morning, y'all. Go watch some cartoons.

4 comments:

A. said...

And just when I thought I couldn't love Mumford & Sons any more, the whistling started.

Chris said...

Samurai Jack, a very satisfying experience.

ruh-bek-uh said...

I love your drawings! And yes, I did just stalk you on your blog again :)

SJ said...

listening on repeat.