19.9.11

lately.

baked a cake.

climbed a couple mountains.

got a total of three hours sleep in the course of two full days.

read quite a lot.

Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have entwined together, that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion . . . that is just being 'in love,' which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.
But sometimes the petals fall away and the roots have not entwined. Imagine giving up your home and your people, only to discover after six months, a year, three years, that the trees have no roots and have fallen over. Imagine the desolation. Imagine the imprisonment.
louis de bernières | captain corelli's mandolin


watched this.

wondered and worried and wished with kimberly.

saw leaves turning autumn colors.


Someone in every photograph is on the brink of some apotheosis or other.
dean duncan | home video

 celebrated sara's birthday.

took the color code test. again. am still very very much blue.

tried maple-bacon ice cream.

discussed hunter-gatherer societies and the impact of agriculture.


Whites provide remarkable clarity. Whites provide astute perspective when solicited, but rarely express themselves unless asked. They enjoy their quiet awareness and modestly consider their remarks less significant than others. They have a keen eye for connecting the dots and making meaningful contributions when invited.
dr. taylor hartman | the people code
missed this. til it hurt too much.

wore boots.

watched a young father help his tiny daughter into her miniature peacoat.

checked out a book called what it all means
how delightfully pretentious.
(but at least someone's got it figured out.)

It's so heartbreaking, violence, when it's in a house---like seeing the clothes in a tree after an explosion. You may be prepared to see death but not the clothes in the tree.
philip roth | the plot against america

I found myself sticking around, spending more time than was necessary, watching the planes bring people and take people away, I started coming twice a week and staying for several hours, when it was time to go home I didn't want to leave, and when I wasn't here, I wanted to be here, now I come every morning before we open the store, and every evening after dinner, so what is it, am I hoping to see someone I know get off one of the planes, am I waiting for a relative who never will come, do I expect Anna? No, that's not it, it's not about my joy, the relief of my burden. I like to see people reunited, maybe that's a silly thing, but what can I say, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can't tell fast enough, the ears that aren't big enough, the eyes that can't take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone, I sit on the side with a coffee and write in my daybook, I examine the flight schedules that I've already memorized, I observe, I write, I try not to remember the life that I didn't want to lose but lost and have to remember, being here fills my hears with so much joy, even if the joy isn't mine, and at the end of the day I fill my suitcase with old news.
jonathan safran foer | extremely loud and incredibly close

escaped again to the mountains.

fell asleep in the sun.


while Olivia read.


and I thought about you.

For our hearts are not pure; our hearts are filled with need and greed as much as with love and grace; and we wrestle with our hearts all the time. The wrestling is who we are. How we wrestle is who we are. What we want to be is never what we are. Not yet. Maybe that's why we have these relentless engines in our chests, driving us toward what we might be.
brian doyle | how we wrestle is who we are

I am going to close my eyes.

I only want five things,
five chosen roots.

One is an endless love.

Two is to see the autumn.
I cannot exist without leaves
flying and falling to earth.
pablo neruda | i ask for silence
 


3 comments:

h.v. said...

i love that you quoted dean duncan. (i bet he would love it, too). i love your blog, you keep me inspired.

A. said...

I've now added things to my to read list. Captain Corelli's Mandolin? Um..Yes, please.

Also, I just watched that very episode of GG today. No joke. It made my heart happy.

And, I love you. Everything about you.

M said...

Beautiful. All of it. (I've been on another B. Doyle kick lately.)